Fear is an emotion that is hard-wired in us as humans, and so we naturally want to avoid the things that frighten us. But the biggest problem with this survival instinct is that there are times when we must face these fears in order to move forward and get ahead in life. We have a natural desire to avoid pain but if we don’t address it head-on, it’ll often lead to worse pain and problems down the road. This is often true when it comes to relationships, with our physical health, and it’s definitely true when it comes to our money. It’s a serious issue when we let fear get in the way of taking action. During this episode, with Halloween just around the corner, we cover some of the most common money fears that lurk in the back of our minds, and how to face them down in order to get one step closer to financial freedom.
- For help with overwhelming debt, check out free services offered by the NFCC (National Foundation for Credit Counseling) and Money Management International.
- Refinancing your student loans might be the right thing for you and listen back to our episode with Lauryn Williams where we talked about income based repayment plans.
- Not having enough life insurance was a fear we kept hearing from folks- check out our article on choosing life insurance that is cheap and easy to buy.
- Extra cash – And regardless of where you are on the path to financial independence, we believe in the responsible use of credit cards. It’s smart to utilize the additional benefits that credit cards offer- for instance the 60,000 points that come with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. That’s $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards! (not to mention we think it’s the best travel rewards credit card!) This is no joke- I’ve already done this myself which we discussed on a recent episode after I met the initial spending requirements of $4,000 over 3 months!
During this episode we both enjoyed a Hopfenweisse by Schneider Weisse- a massive thanks to Zach for sharing these with us! And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How to Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.