Farming has to be one of the most difficult careers if our (lack of) success at gardening is any indicator. By no means are we farmers, but from what we do know about growing food, it’s important to periodically let your fields lie fallow. This allows the soil a chance to rest and restore some nutrient balance. It’s counterintuitive, it certainly feels like taking time off from growing crops is going to hurt your bottom line but it’s incredibly necessary for the long-term health of the soil, as well as the success of the farmer. And we think the same is true when it comes to giving our money away. It sure doesn’t sound like a vital ingredient in a wealth-building formula, but we think that it actually is. And when we constantly talk about the different ways that we can work to have more money- whether that’s through spending less or earning more, we think it’s important to hit pause to encourage folks to do the opposite. We truly do believe that by giving away our money- even by starting out with small amounts, that we’re going to end up better off in the end. Listen as we discuss why we believe this to be true, who should be donating their money, how much we should be giving away, and some practical tips to help you to part with more of your money!
- Budget – Putting together a plan for your money is an important step that’ll help enable you to give away more of your money. Here are a few easy ways to budget, or at the very least begin tracking your expenses with YNAB or Mint.
- Charity bucket: Check out our full post on sinking funds and why setting money aside is an awesome way to pool money to give away.
- Charities – Ensure that the money that you’re giving away is going to organizations that align with your values. Research and vet non-profits at sites like CharityNavigator.org, CharityWatch.org, & GreatNonProfits.org.
- Make it easy – If you’re looking for an app like Acorns, but for giving money away, check out the RoundUp App.
- High rollers – Check out Daffy if you’re looking to set up a donor advised fund on the cheap.
- Credit Card Tool – Looking for the right credit card for you? Then check out our new credit card tool that’ll help you to easily filter through all the cards based on your preferred airline, whether or not they have an annual fee, or simply by the cash back offer! Just toggle the sliders and you’ll know which card to consider.
- Newsletter – Don’t forget to sign up for the best personal finance newsletter in all the land! It’s completely free and something we create to help you along your journey to financial freedom. It drops every Tuesday morning and you can always unsubscribe if you don’t dig it!
During this episode we enjoyed a Peach Cobbler American-Style Sour by Shades Brewing- thanks Andy for donating this one to the pod! And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How To Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Leave a Reply