Marshall Allen is a journalist who investigates why we pay so much for healthcare here in America, while simultaneously we receive so little in return. He is the author of “Never Pay the First Bill: And Other Ways to Fight the Health Care System and Win” and he is also the founder of Allen Health Academy, which produces a curriculum of short on-demand videos to equip and empower employees to navigate the healthcare system. Marshall has been investigating the healthcare industry for 15 years, including over a decade at ProPublica. He also teaches investigative reporting at the Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at the City University of New York. We highly recommend that you listen to this episode if you’re looking for practical ways to reduce how much you’re spending on medical costs!
- US Preventative Services TaskForce – this is the site Marshall mentioned where you can objectively determine if a screening or procedure is recommended.
- GreenImaging – where you can find affordable medical imaging like an MRI, CT Scan, etc.
- FairHealthConsumer – where you can determine fair pricing for medical services.
- And be sure to check out Marshall’s site where you can learn more about what he’s up to, including the Indiegogo campaign to create a curriculum of healthcare literacy videos!
And here’s one of the distinctions between us and other personal finance fundamentalists out there: we believe in the responsible use of credit cards. It’s smart to utilize the additional benefits that credit cards offer, though we don’t want you to be tempted into spending more than you otherwise would. But if you’re looking to maximize your credit card benefits, Chase is offering the best welcome offer we have ever seen. The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card is rewarding folks $1,250 after the initial spending requirements of $4,000 over 3 months!
During this episode we enjoyed a Fade Away by Cruz Blanca Brewery – thanks to Dennis and our friends at the brewery for donating this one to the podcast! And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How to Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.