Investing for your retirement is way simpler and easier than you think- and I’m going to prove it. Do these 2 things and you’ll be a millionaire by the time you retire (I’m not even exaggerating one bit!):
1. Open your retirement accounts:
- 401k – If your employer offers a retirement plan like a 401k, especially with a match, start contributing immediately!!! Since a ton of employers offer a 50% match, you won’t be able to find a better return on your investment anywhere. At the very least contribute up to your employer match, or you can really get after it and fully fund it at $18,500.
- IRA – Next thing to consider is opening an IRA (individual retirement account), specifically a ROTH IRA given the recent changes in tax law. This is not an employer offered retirement plan, so anyone can open one of these accounts. It’s as easy as opening a savings account online, no joke. The only downside to the IRA is that your contributions are limited at $5,500 per year (but don’t forget you can open a spousal IRA too, so $11,000 combined!). We highly recommend Vanguard.
2. Start investing:
- Take Warren Buffett’s timeless advice and only buy funds or etfs that are widely diversified and have low expense ratios (like around .05%).
- Joel is 100% invested in VTSAX and I’m 100% invested in VOO. Again we are both big fans of Vanguard but both Fidelity and Schwab have some good low-cost funds as well.
- Keep investing and don’t stop. That’s it!
If you’d like even more information on different retirement accounts, be sure to check out this thorough article over at NerdWallet.
And at the beginning of this episode we cracked open a couple local brews by Ironmonger Brewing Company- Damascus IPA and Anvil DIPA which you can find and learn all about on Untappd. If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to subscribe and review us in iTunes, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts!