We spend this entire episode covering what you should do with your tax refund! First of all, you shouldn’t be receiving a big refund when April 15th rolls around- if you are, talk to HR and have your tax withholding decreased so the IRS is taking a smaller bite out of your paycheck. We would rather see you proactively do something with that money on a regular basis as opposed to waiting on that ‘windfall’ once a year. So do that first. Next, here are the top 5 things you need to be doing with your tax refund:
- Pay off high interest debt – any debt with an interest rate approaching double digits, or higher, wipe it out.
- Emergency fund – at least have $1000 for an emergency fund, preferably 3-6 months of living expenses.
- Invest it – put that money to work whether it be in a 401k, real estate, or small business!
- Give it to charity – be generous. Check out Give.org and become a better giver.
- Treat yo self – but avoid those pony expenses.
Tax refunds – Here’s a full post on good things to do with your tax refund!
And at the beginning of this episode we popped open a barrel aged saison- Joie by Westbrook Brewing which you can find and learn all about on Untappd. If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to subscribe and review us in iTunes, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts!
Oh, and the band we were talking about: Typhoon, do yourself a favor and check those guys out. Should we reach out to them and see if they’ll donate one of their songs for our intro? Have any other songs or suggestions for us?- leave a comment below!
One of my favorite reasons not to have a tax refund is that it is your money, the government got to use it all year and you didn’t! You could have been using that money to make more money all year!
Still a great podcsat!
We completely agree Tori- if you get a fat tax refund, it might be time to review how much the IRS is withholding from your paycheck. Thanks for listening!