Since this is episode 404, we’re talking all about the money lessons that we can learn from our city Atlanta (which is sometimes referred to as the 404). You can learn lessons in unintended places- there are things to be learned all around us, if only we’re keeping an eye out for them. For instance, one of the impacts of the Covid lockdowns last year was that we couldn’t go anywhere and our calendars were pretty much wiped clean. And the unintended lesson that many Americans learned was that we probably had way too many events on the calendar to begin with. We quickly learned that less activities and more family time was a good thing. And so when it comes to Atlanta, there are a ton of different personal finance lessons that we can learn- from specific things like terrible traffic, the cultural diversity we find in the city, tax breaks being offered to the film industry, our sports teams, and plenty more! So be sure to listen in order to learn some valuable ATLien money lessons.
- Listen back to episode 233 when we talked in-depth about insurance products that folks should really consider getting.
- You might be thinking you’re getting a bargain on a house by moving out into the burbs, but what about all the hours you’ll spend commuting? There are hidden costs with most things in life and everything costs more than you think.
- Put your money where your mouth is, like Jimmy Carter and listen to our episode on how giving money away will make you richer.
- And take advantage of tax breaks, just like the film and production companies do here in Georgia. One of the easiest ways to do this is to make sure that you have an IRA set up with a provider like Vanguard, Fidelity, or the M1 Finance app (though it is worth mentioning that most folks would be best served with a Roth IRA which you can also do with those 3 brokerage houses).
- Credit Card Tool – Looking for the right credit card for you? Then check out our new credit card tool that’ll help you to easily filter through all the cards based on your preferred airline, whether or not they have an annual fee, or simply by the cash back offer! Just toggle the sliders and you’ll know which card to consider.
During this episode we enjoyed BBA Siberius Maximus 10th Anniversary Cuvee RIS by Wrecking Bar Brewpub! And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How to Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.