Asking for a discount isn’t something that most people enjoy doing, but we’d be willing to wager that you don’t ask for discounts enough. It’s your money after all- hang onto it! In this episode we discuss haggling, rejection, and some reasons why asking for a discount should be a healthy part of your financial life. We also go through some practical steps we take when asking for a discount and share a few stories of when we’ve gotten that sweet discount or when we’ve had to say ‘thanks for considering!’ and walk.
It’s an overused maxim, but that doesn’t make it any less true: If you never ask for a discount, the answer will always be no!
Time to spread some love to a few podcasts we enjoy listening to. The ones we mentioned on the show:
- This American Life – (duh) And here’s the actual ‘Good Guy Discount’ episode we talked about
- How I Built This – the narrative surrounding specific entrepreneurs
- 99 Percent Invisible – all about design, plus Roman Mars has an amazing voice
- Radical Personal Finance – the name says it all
- BiggerPockets – everything you wanted to learn about real estate investing
- Joe Rogan – long form interviews
- Planet Money – interesting stories with money at the center
- Unrelegated – a new podcast focusing on Atlanta United soccer
At the beginning of this episode we cracked open a couple beers that Joel brought back from Paris- we are so incredibly cultured y’all! Specifically we were a fan of the Blanc by Gallia Paris, which you can learn about on their website but good luck since it’s in French! If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to subscribe and review us in iTunes, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts!