Imagine hopping on a flight to visit your parents on the other side of the world. You don’t avoid flying by plane because there’s likely going to be some turbulence- a few rough patches are to be expected. You take advantage of the modern marvel of a transatlantic flight and you go and see your family! Similarly, the stock market is the greatest wealth creating machine in history- it’s amazing! Investing in the market to achieve millionaire status has become possible for a much wider swath of folks but the path comes with its fair share of corrections and bear markets. To go back to the analogy- what if it’s starting to look like air travel is no longer safe? You start to consider that upcoming flight! Sure, we’re seeing some market volatility now but future market predictions aren’t looking all that rosy either. Is it time to consider pulling out of the market? During this episode we’ll discuss why the market saw massive gains over the past 2 years, why we’re optimistic about the future of the stock market, what you should be doing if we experience a future of weak returns, and how you should be investing regardless of what’s going on with the stock market.
- Money gears – We referenced our 7 Money Gears during this episode. It’s important to know what your next financial moves should be before you take action!
- Mean reversion – The Barry Ritholtz article on mean reversion and the stock market.
- Recession – Prepping for a looming recession was episode 503.
- Capitalism – Why we think that capitalism is a force for good.
- Investing – Listen back to how we invest our money with brokerage houses like Fidelity, M1 Finance, and Vanguard.
- Extra cash – And regardless of where you are on the path to financial independence, we believe in the responsible use of credit cards. It’s smart to utilize the additional benefits that credit cards offer- for instance the 60,000 points that come with the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. That’s $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards! This is no joke- I’ve already done this myself which we discussed on a recent episode after I met the initial spending requirements of $4,000 over 3 months!
During this episode we enjoyed an Escape From Lager Mountain Flying Machine! And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How to Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.