Today we have the pleasure of talking with Carl Jensen who found himself trapped in a cubicle as a software developer nearly 9 years ago, when he set off on a journey to achieve the status of: financially independent and retired early. That’s when he started his site 1500Days.com and has been blogging under the moniker Mr. 1500. Carl has since achieved FIRE and continues to be incredibly productive in the world of real estate with his live-in flips, all while pursuing a very intentional life in Longmont Colorado. Carl also happens to be a good friend of ours who we met years ago. And after spending some more time together recently at a personal finance conference, we realized we were overdue in having him come on as a guest on the show. We discuss everything from the downside of sharing personal financial information publicly, practical tips in finding a great property to flip, to how it is that Carl owns over 600 shares of Tesla stock!
Be sure to check out Carl’s podcast, Mile High FI, which he co-hosts with Doug Cunnington. And some practical tips from Car on finding a great property to flip:
- Live in a place where the local economy is growing, maybe it’s still rough around the edges so there’s room for improvement.
- Look for a neighborhood where houses are 30-40 years old, outdated but still with modern construction.
- Dumpsters are also a good sign that folks are investing in their homes.
- Wait for a great deal rather than jumping on an OK deal.
And here’s one of the distinctions between us and other personal finance fundamentalists out there: we believe in the responsible use of credit cards. It’s smart to utilize the additional benefits that credit cards offer, though we don’t want you to be tempted into spending more than you otherwise would. But if you’re looking to maximize your credit card benefits, Chase is offering the best welcome offer we have ever seen. The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card is rewarding folks $1,250 after the initial spending requirements of $4,000 over 3 months!
During this episode we both enjoyed an Old Chub by Oskar Blues! And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How to Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.