During this special year-end Friday Flight, we’re discussing the major stories from the entire year and their impact on your personal finances! There are a lot of headlines out there, but we distill it down to specific takeaways that will allow you to kick off 2023 informed and help you to get ahead with your money. In this episode we explain: the inescapable creep of higher prices- the impact of inflation on groceries, gas, and housing. The Fed’s response to those rising prices by raising interest rates and what that means for debtors and savers. The cratering stock market and the depths of the ‘crypto winter’. A red hot job market and how much more workers were able to make by switching employers. Student loan borrowers and the whiplash they experienced as those loan payments are still on hold. The rise of ‘buy now pay later’ and how a seemingly silver lining has turned out to be a false promise. Plus a few lessons that hopefully we can all keep in mind, regardless of where we are on our financial journey- it’s not all bad news!
- Investing – And of course we touched on investing during this episode- listen back to how we invest our money with brokerage houses like Fidelity, M1 Finance, and Vanguard.
- Nothing like a good number crunching session to remind you (or open your eyes for the first time!) of the power of compounding returns!
- Crypto – If you’re curious about the future of crypto, we talked with expert Stacie-Marie Ishmael back in episode 583
- I bonds – Head to TreasuryDirect.gov and snag you some I bonds- they’re still paying a solid rate!
- Newsletter – Don’t forget to sign up for the best personal finance newsletter in all the land! It’s completely free and something we create to help you along your journey to financial freedom. It drops every Tuesday morning and you can always unsubscribe if you don’t dig it!
- Credit Card Tool – Looking for the right credit card for you? Then check out our new credit card tool that’ll help you to easily filter through all the cards based on your preferred airline, whether or not they have an annual fee, or simply by the cash back offer! Just toggle the sliders and you’ll know which card to consider.
And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How to Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money. Have an awesome weekend!
Happy New Year- best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.