Flexibility is a characteristic that will serve you well! This reminded Joel of his summer beach trip with his family to Tybee Island. Shortly after they left, there was a massive swarm of jellyfish that meant beachgoers couldn’t even get in the water. Lifeguards treated around 300 visitors for jellyfish stings in a single weekend. And while that would’ve been a bummer if you were wanting to spend some time in the ocean, it didn’t mean that you couldn’t have any fun in the sun. It just would’ve meant more time playing bocce or spikeball! And we believe the same is true when it comes to our money. Just like you might need to adapt your vacation plans if jellyfish have taken over the water, seeing the current trends can help us optimize our decisions and avoid unnecessary financial pain. And while it’s always good to strive for financial flexibility, we think this is even more important today given the incredible amount of change that we’ve seen impact markets over the past two years. So listen as we lay out some scenarios that highlight the benefits of flexibility, as well as practical steps that’ll allow you to achieve a higher degree of financial flexibility.
- Jellyfish – Joel wasn’t kidding, 300 folks got stung!
- And they’re not blobs… technically they’re ‘jellies‘.
- Budgeting – And it can be a really great idea to figure out how little it would take to live on with a bare bones budget, if the proverbial ish hits the fan.
- As we’ve talked about before, here’s a stripped down template of our family’s budget in Excel. It may not make sense for some, but I hope it can get most started down the right path! (once you’re in Google Drive, click: File -> download to get the file on your computer)
- Money Gears – We referenced our 7 Money Gears during this episode. It’s important to know what your next financial moves should be before you take action!
- Credit Card Tool – Looking for the right credit card for you? Then check out our new credit card tool that’ll help you to easily filter through all the cards based on your preferred airline, whether or not they have an annual fee, or simply by the cash back offer! Just toggle the sliders and you’ll know which card to consider.
- Newsletter – Don’t forget to sign up for the best personal finance newsletter in all the land! It’s completely free and something we create to help you along your journey to financial freedom. It drops every Tuesday morning and you can always unsubscribe if you don’t dig it!
During this episode we enjoyed a Six by Upright Brewing! And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How To Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.