We’re going all-in today on budgeting with our special guest- Jesse Mecham! There are a number of folks listening who might recognize his name, but I’m guessing even more folks are familiar with the company he started in 2003 while he was still in college- You Need A Budget, or YNAB as it’s commonly known. Millions of individuals have used YNAB to get on a budget which has allowed them to achieve their life-changing financial goals- whether that’s simply paying off debt or the complicated endeavor of getting on the same page as their partner. Jesse has likely thought more about budgeting over the past 20 years than anyone else out there, so we’re excited to talk with him about all the things that he’s learned over the years. Listen as we discuss why you need a budget in the first place, Jesse’s 4 rules of budgeting, how often you should spend on your budget every month, as well as his approach to credit cards and debt.
- YNAB – We highly recommend looking into You Need A Budget. If you’ve tried putting together a budget on Excel or Google Sheets and it’s not working out for you, maybe you need an app that was created from the ground up to help you take control of your finances!
- More Budgeting Help – Here are a few posts that’ll help get your budgeting system in sync with your lifestyle and help realign your spending habits:
- Different ways to budget
- Ways to stop dipping into your savings account
- The Rule of 173: how small expenses add up to huge savings1
- Credit Card Tool – Looking for the right credit card for you? Then check out our new credit card tool that’ll help you to easily filter through all the cards based on your preferred airline, whether or not they have an annual fee, or simply by the cash back offer! Just toggle the sliders and you’ll know which card to consider.
- Newsletter – Don’t forget to sign up for the best personal finance newsletter in all the land! It’s completely free and something we create to help you along your journey to financial freedom. It drops every Tuesday morning and you can always unsubscribe if you don’t dig it!
During this episode we enjoyed an Igneous IPA by Hutton & Smith! And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How to Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Leave a Reply