Up until the 1500s, everybody thought that the earth was the center of the universe- the sun, moon, and planets all orbited around us. But over the course of a century as more folks accepted the belief that we are a part of a heliocentric solar system, this updated view significantly changed everyone’s perception of planet Earth. No longer were we at the center of it all! Our planet Earth is still important of course, but everyone began to see that we were a part of a larger system. We were put in our proper place. And similarly we feel that work and career tends to be at the center of the American universe, negatively impacting our lives via workaholism, lack of other interests, and higher levels of stress. Not that work can’t be fulfilling! We’ve always held a high view of work- it provides a sense of meaning and structure, not to mention a necessary source of income. But when our lives revolve around work, when it’s the center, we think it throws everything out of balance. Listen as we discuss the many reasons why work dominates our lives, as well as how you can find more work-life balance!
- Extra reading – Here are a couple of the articles we referenced.
- Hobbies – We dedicated an entire episode to hobbies back in the day and Wes Moss talked about how the happiest retirees have 3.6 core pursuits!
- Time budgeting – Knowing where you’re spending your time could be the first step in achieving more balance. I spent a year tracking every minute via the Clockify app.
- Extra cash – And regardless of where you are on the path to financial independence, we believe in the responsible use of credit cards. It’s smart to utilize the additional benefits that credit cards offer- for instance the 60,000 points that come with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. That’s $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards! (not to mention we think it’s the best travel rewards credit card!) This is no joke- I’ve already done this myself which we discussed on a recent episode after I met the initial spending requirements of $4,000 over 3 months!
- Newsletter – Don’t forget to sign up for the best personal finance newsletter in all the land! It’s completely free and something we create to help you along your journey to financial freedom. It drops every Tuesday morning and you can always unsubscribe if you don’t dig it!
During this episode we enjoyed a S’mores by Wicked Weed! And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How To Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.