Think back to when you were a kid- can you remember an instance where you asked your parents a question, and instead of explaining the actual answer, they just said “Because I said so”. How frustrating! Or maybe in middle school you were horrified to even be seen with your folks in public because of something they were wearing. You’d say to yourself “I’m never going to be like parents!”. Well that was us to a T, and we always thought we’d be intown city dwellers. Well times have changed and so we’ll share why it is that we’re moving (yes… both of our families!), but we realized this is also an incredibly relevant topic for a lot of folks out there. Of course housing is everyone’s top expense, but there are many reasons why moving is top of mind for a large percentage of Americans. Listen as we discuss a healthy framework and factors to consider when you’re debating a move. Not only financial considerations like cost of living and increasing your earning potential, but also lifestyle considerations like relationships and schools. And we’ll also leave you with a few tips to help ensure you’re making this move without breaking the bank.
- Gold digger – Here’s the Aussie treasure hunter I mentioned at the beginning.
- This magnet is currently in my shopping cart! 🤓
- Cost of living – Here’s that great COL calculator by CNN Money to help give you some perspective on how far your dollars would go in a new city.
- And here’s a great resource by TaxFoundation.org that shows individual income tax rates by state as well as where your state ranks when it comes to property taxes.
- Movers – U-Haul has a great resource for finding local movers, but regardless make sure they are certified ProMovers at Moving.org. This is a certification awarded by the American Trucking Association to companies who have to pass a rigorous set of standards.
- Credit Card Tool – Looking for the right credit card for you? Then check out our new credit card tool that’ll help you to easily filter through all the cards based on your preferred airline, whether or not they have an annual fee, or simply by the cash back offer! Just toggle the sliders and you’ll know which card to consider.
During this episode we enjoyed a Stuckey’s Pecan Log Roll by Wild Heaven! And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How to Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Leave a Reply