It’s time for a Friday Flight! These episodes are all about the week’s financial news and the impact on your personal finances. There are a lot of headlines out there, but we distill it down to specific takeaways that will allow you to kick off the weekend informed and help you to continue to make smart money moves. In this episode we cover some relevant and helpful stories like: a new federal student loan servicer, free money for college is available starting today, what to do about rising rents, preparing for covid healthcare costs, investing hamsters beating the market, “experts” calling for a market crash, Vanguard slashing fees, making bank as an influencer, & multiple reasons why bottled water sucks.
- Some tips on what you can do to keep your rent from going through the roof:
- Be the best tenant your landlord has ever had. Pay on time or early every month, take care of the property like it’s your own, don’t ask for petty ‘fixes’ you could easily do yourself like replacing a lightbulb.
- Offer to sign a longer lease. Landlords don’t like vacancies which cost them money so a great tenant committed for multiple years is really attractive.
- It might be time to move in order to find a more affordable place. Sometimes if your landlord isn’t willing to budge, the next best thing to do is find another place. While everyone else is finding a bigger place, maybe you can find a smaller place if you don’t need as much space.
- When it comes to finding ways to reduce your healthcare costs, Marshall Allen had some really incredible advice back during our convo with him: Fight and Win Against Insane Healthcare Costs
- Credit Card Tool – Looking for the right credit card for you? Then check out our new credit card tool that’ll help you to easily filter through all the cards based on your preferred airline, whether or not they have an annual fee, or simply by the cash back offer! Just toggle the sliders and you’ll know which card to consider.
And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How to Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money. Have an awesome weekend!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.