Time for our Friday Flight! These episodes are a sampling of the week’s financial news and the impact on your personal finances. There are a lot of headlines out there, but we distill it down to specific takeaways that will allow you to kick off the weekend informed and help you to get ahead during these trying times. In this episode we cover some relevant and helpful stories like: scoring some HTM socks!, finally time for a recession, ginormous jackpots, using dumb personal loans to build wealth, fintech promising too good to be true savings rates, Overdraft Protection Act, the case of the $5,000 Springsteen tickets, expensive algorithms, fake reviews, student loan pause likely to be extended, geriatric roomates to save big, going with store brands, and conspicuous consumption if you’re into foot stuff.
- Renovate to build wealth – Realize that you’re only getting a fraction of the cost of home renovations back as value in the home.
- Reducing rent – look to Nesterly.com to find an older roommate.
- Groceries – Here’s a nice list of ways to cut back on your grocery bill each month.
- Socks – Like we mentioned, send us an email at HowToMoneyPod@gmail.com with a screenshot of your review before end of day Wednesday, and you’ll have a chance to win one of five pairs of HTM socks!
- Speaking of free socks, here’s a chance at free socks for life with Darn Tough
- Newsletter – Don’t forget to sign up for the best personal finance newsletter in all the land! It’s completely free and something we create to help you along your journey to financial freedom. It drops every Tuesday morning and you can always unsubscribe if you don’t dig it!
- Credit Card Tool – Looking for the right credit card for you? Then check out our new credit card tool that’ll help you to easily filter through all the cards based on your preferred airline, whether or not they have an annual fee, or simply by the cash back offer! Just toggle the sliders and you’ll know which card to consider.
And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How to Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money. Have an awesome weekend!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Thank you Matt and Joel for reminding me the correct reasons Not to play the lottery! I never have, the past 2 weeks have been tempting though!
Appreciate both of you so much for your wise, calm, and practical for 2022 financial wisdom!
Friend in Downingtown PA, OUT
You’re welcome, Kate! Keep your money and enjoy NOT having hundreds of millions of dollars in your bank account. 🙂 It would do more harm than good for most of us, haha.