Time for a Friday Flight- our sampling of the week’s financial news and what it means for your personal finances. There are a lot of headlines out there, but we boil it down to specific takeaways that will allow you to kick off the weekend informed and help you to get ahead with your money. In this episode we explain some relevant and helpful stories like: that new Aldi drip, credit bureau complaints, credit score impacting mortgage payments, costly car insurance, exploitive title loans, crypto cons, the quest to burnish Bitcoin, investment scams targeting the youths, earning more on medium term savings, and CDs yes please!
- Credit scores – We touched on the fact that you don’t need a perfect credit score– check out that episode!
- Free report – Though we’re not recommending making this a weekly practice, you’re still entitled to a free credit report every week from each of the three credit bureaus at AnnualCreditReport.com
- Report errors – And if you’re attempting to correct an error on your credit report and the bureaus are dropping the ball, file a complaint over at ConsumerFinance.gov/complaint
- Car insurance – There are so many reasons why we’re huge fans of at least checking out PolicyGenius for auto insurance. Remember, they’re an insurance marketplace so they allow you to compare the best plans for you!
- Independent broker – Trusted Choice is a great resource to help you find (relatively) local independent agents who can also shop for the best rates. Added bonus: if they focus on a specific state, they’ll also know all the nuances since insurance requirements vary by state which can help you save and get the best coverage for you!
- I bonds – Head to TreasuryDirect.gov and snag you some I bonds- they’re still paying a solid rate, at least for the next few weeks. And here’s a great post about when it makes sense to sell the I bonds you’ve purchased.
- Newsletter – Don’t forget to sign up for the best personal finance newsletter in all the land! It’s completely free and something we create to help you along your journey to financial freedom. It drops every Tuesday morning and you can always unsubscribe if you don’t dig it!
- Credit Card Tool – Looking for the right credit card for you? Then check out our new credit card tool that’ll help you to easily filter through all the cards based on your preferred airline, whether or not they have an annual fee, or simply by the cash back offer! Just toggle the sliders and you’ll know which card to consider.
And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How to Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money. Have an awesome weekend!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Hi Matt and Joel. Thanks for the always-informative podcast. Can you please share the link to the Retirement Revealed post on I bonds you mention? Thanks again and keep up the amazing work! Cheers! Kim
Of course. Sorry we forgot to post it in the show notes – here you go, Kim! https://keilfp.com/blogpodcast/when-to-cash-out-i-bonds/