How something is communicated to us can have a major impact on the reception of that idea. For instance, Joel’s wife has been known to offer great advice to him over the years- but he often only comes around when a friend makes a similar remark! He suddenly sees the light because even though the advice is the same, the context is different. It’s only then that he takes action. And similar patterns emerge when it comes to our susceptibility to advertising and marketing. Our subconscious often coalesces to marketing tactics that we tend to think we’re impervious to. We’re not quite as rational as we think we are, and those marketing tricks often nudge us towards buying things we don’t need and spending money we hadn’t planned on parting with. So listen as we identify some of these marketing maneuvers and the steps you can take to avoid becoming a mindless consumer.
- Money mission statement – Check out the worksheet we created to help you create your own Money Mission Statement! Download it, and give it a solid 30 minutes one evening to really begin some soul searching to determine what you want your life to look like.
- MLMs – We referenced the episode that we fully dedicated to multi-level marketing companies.
- Credit Card Tool – Looking for the right credit card for you? Then check out our new credit card tool that’ll help you to easily filter through all the cards based on your preferred airline, whether or not they have an annual fee, or simply by the cash back offer! Just toggle the sliders and you’ll know which card to consider.
- Newsletter – Don’t forget to sign up for the best personal finance newsletter in all the land! It’s completely free and something we create to help you along your journey to financial freedom. It drops every Tuesday morning and you can always unsubscribe if you don’t dig it!
During this episode we enjoyed a Bibo by Creature Comforts! And please help us to spread the word by letting friends and family know about How To Money! Hit the share button, subscribe if you’re not already a regular listener, and give us a quick review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Help us to change the conversation around personal finance and get more people doing smart things with their money!
Best friends out!
* Advertiser Disclosure: How to Money has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. How to Money and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
* User Generated Content Disclosure: Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.